The ECI Open Day serves as a platform for exchanging ideas and networking for ANU researchers and key ECI stakeholders working in the field of energy change. The event will comprise presentations by ECI participants on the latest research, education and policy highlights followed by a tour of the world-class energy change research facilities at the ANU.
This year ECI Open Day is pleased to host delegates from the 2014 OSA Congress on Light, Energy and the Environment.
Registration is essential for catering purposes. Morning tea and lunch will be provided. Please register here.
The day will include a series of presentations, a lunch time poster session and lab tours commencing at 2pm.
All attendees are welcome to bring their posters for the lunch time poster session. Please indicate your intention by emailing here.
Please find the program below. A pdf version is available here.
09.00 – 09.05 Introduction
Professor Michael Cardew-Hall, PVC (Innovation and Advancement)
09.05 – 10.00 State-of-the-Institute presentation
ECI Director Professor Ken Baldwin
Welcome to participants and stakeholders
- New initiatives
- Research themes
- Student achievements
- Outreach and Public Policy
10:00 – 10:30 Highlights
- Energy planning for the future campus – a novel concept (Ms Christine Allard)
- Opening of the fusion research facility upgrade (Professor John Howard)
- Australia Indonesia Council: New opportunities for collaborative research in the field of energy (Dr Igor Skryabin)
10:30 – 11.00 Morning tea
11.00 – 12.30 Highlights (continued)
- Solar energy research update (Professor Andrew Blakers, Associate Professor Kylie Catchpole, Associate Professor Wojciech Lipinski)
- Recent breakthroughs in artificial photosynthesis (Professor Elmars Krausz)
- Simulating city-wide distributed PV production (Mr Nick Engerer)
- The state of renewables regulation (Dr James Prest)
- The UN Deep Decarbonisation Project (Associate Professor Frank Jotzo)
- Achieving low carbon, resilient and prosperous economies - Cambridge University Press book project (2014/2015) (Dr Michael H.Smith)
- MOOCS – Online courses for all (Dr Paul Francis)
12.30 – 14.00 Lunch and Poster session
14.00 Lab Tours
Please register for tours at the front desk
- Nuclear/fusion/big dish solar thermal
- Artificial photosynthesis/solar photovoltaics