The ANU Energy Change Institute (ECI) is pleased to host Mr Ian Cronshaw from the International Energy Agency (IEA), co-author of the World Energy Outlook 2013 (WEO 2013). Ian Cronshaw will present the IEA perspective on the WEO 2013 (published on November 12th), which provides a snapshot of international energy trends.
The ANU Energy Update provides Australian researchers, policymakers, industry and members of the public with the latest state of play in the world's energy markets.
This year's inaugural event has a particular focus on Asia, where energy demand is growing faster than anywhere in the world. In addition to the rapid growth in China and India, Southeast Asia as a region is rising fast as a global energy player. The region's booming economy is expected to drive this trend in years to come. Efforts to close the development gaps and sustain economic growth using fossil fuels could result in a significant rise in greenhouse gas emissions, while efforts to secure energy supplies could potentially redraw the global map of energy security and geopolitics.
The full day event features national and international presenters from government, universities and the private sector, discussing a range of issues such as global and regional energy outlook, sustainable energy technologies, energy security and energy poverty. The participating speakers are at the cutting edge of politics, economics and trade, and each session will focus on opportunities and challenges in these fields.
The 2013 ANU Energy Update is organised by The ANU Energy Change Institute in conjunction with the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific.
Presenters and discussants include (in alphabetical order):
- Professor Ken Baldwin, Director of the ANU Energy Change Institute
- Dr Marwansyah Lobo Balia, National Energy Council of the Republic of Indonesia, Special Advisor to the Energy Minister of the Republic of Indonesia
- Professor Andrew Blakers, Centre for Sustainable Energy Systems, ANU
- Dr Paul Burke, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Mr Allaster Cox, First Assistant Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Mr Ian Cronshaw, International Energy Agency
- Dr Matthew Dornan, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Professor Peter Drahos, Regulatory Institutions Network, ANU
- Dr Bruce Godfrey, member of ARENA Advisory Panel
- Mr Ivor Frischknecht, CEO of ARENA
- Professor Quentin Grafton, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Professor Chris Greig, UQ Energy Initiative, University of Queensland
- Dr Edward Halawa, Centre for Renewable Energy, Research Institute for the Environment and Livelihoods, Charles Darwin University
- Professor Andrew MacIntyre, Dean of the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Professor Hugh Outhred, School of Electrical Engineering & Telecommunications, UNSW
- Dr Michael H. Smith, Fenner School of Environment and Society, ANU
- Professor David Stern, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU
- Mr Bruce Wilson, Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics
This event is free and open to the public.
Registration is required, please do so below