Rod Boswell is a Professor in the Research School of Physics and Engineering. During the past two years he has given many invited lectures in the USA, Europe and Asia . Rod is an Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society, the Australian Academy of Technologiccal Sciences, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry and the Australian Academy of Sciences. Rod has had over 220 papers published in major international journals including Nature and Physical Review Letters.Rod is the Deputy Editor of Physics of Plasmas and a reviewer and adjudicator for another 10 journals.
- Basic plasma physics and its application to technology and space. In particular:
- Non-linear processes in plasmas leading to anomalous diffusion
- High beta plasmas in the laboratory and astrophysics
- Plasma functionalisation of surfaces for electronics and optics
- Plasma etching
- Plasma deposition
- Plasma processing of soft materials, polymers etc.
- Plasma fabrication of PEM fuel cells
- Development of plasma thrusters for space applications
- Atmospheric pressure glow discharge plasmas
- R.W. Boswell, Plasma Production Using a Standing Helicon Wave, Phys.Lett. 33A 457-458 (1970).
- R.W. Boswell, Dependence of Helicon Wave Radial Structure on Electron Inertia, Australian Journal of Physics 25 403-407 (1973).
- R.W. Boswell, Very efficient plasma generation by whistler waves near the lowerhybrid frequency, Plasma Phys. 10 1147-1162 (1984).
- R.W. Boswell and I.J. Morey, Simulation of a capacitive plasma by P.I.C. techniques, Le Vide, Les Couches Minces 237 143-145 (1987).
- Peiyuan Zhu and R.W. Boswell, A new Argon Ion Laser Based on an Electrodeless Plasma, J.App.Phys. 68 (5) 1981-1984 (1991).
- A.J. Perry, D. Vender and R.W. Boswell, The application of the Helicon source to plasma processing, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B9 (2) 310-317 (1991).
- C. Charles, R.W. Boswell, A. Bouchoule, C. Laure and P. Ranson, Plasma diffusion from a low pressure radio frequency source, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A9 (3) 661-663 (1991).
- A.R. Ellingboe, R.W. Boswell, J.P. Booth and N. Sadeghi, Electron beam pulses produced by helicon-wave excitation, Phys. Plasmas 2 (6) 1807-1809, (1995)
- A.W. Degeling, C.O. Jung, R.W. Boswell and A.R. Ellingboe, Effective ionization by Helicon waves. Physics of Plasmas, 3 2788-2796, (1996)
- Perry A, Conway G, Boswell R, Persing H., Modulated plasma potentials and cross field diffusion in a Helicon plasma, Physics of Plasmas, 9, 3171-3177, (2002)